The Salina Family YMCA has been teaching swim classes in our community since 1886.
We work with hundreds of swimmers of all ages and abilities each year how to start and improve swimming skills to be more comfortable and confident near and in the water.
The Salina Family YMCA strives to create a safe, fun, and encouraging environment for children to develop as swimmers. test
LIFEGUARD & WSI CERTIFICATIONS
The Salina Family YMCA trains and certifies lifeguards and swim instructors for Salina and the surrounding area.
WATER EXERCISE CLASSES
Our water exercise classes are a fun way to use the resistance and buoyancy of the water to improve cardiovascular fitness, strength and flexibility.
SWIM ATTIRE GUIDELINES
To ensure safety for all, please follow our direct swim attire guidelines posted below.
During open swim, the family pool is available for non-lap activities and relaxation. Enjoy the pool independently or have family time to play together in the pool.
Family/Therapy Pool will be kept in the following temperature ranges: 86-87
Tone your muscles and get a cardiovascular workout by swimming laps. Lap swim times are for swimmers who are capable of swimming continuously from one end of the pool to the other. Lanes are first come, first served. Sharing lanes is encouraged if others are waiting to allow more people the opportunity to have a water workout.
- 1-2 Lap swimmer per lane - lane sharing allowed if both parties are agreeable; lane availability varies - check the pool schedule
- 6 water walkers at a time- 2 lanes available. Shallow water walkers travel north to south, deep water walkers circle counterclockwise
- Lap Pool will be kept in the following temperature ranges: 81-83°
LAP LENGTHS (Lap pool is 25m long)
- 64 lengths (32 laps) = 1 mile
- 32 lengths (16 laps) = 1/2 mile
- 16 lengths (8 laps) = 1/4 mile
Sit back and soak in our whirlpool after a workout. Whether you are experiencing joint or muscle pain, having trouble sleeping, or are just plain stressed out, spending time in a whirlpool can provide therapeutic benefits for just about everyone.
- Temperature is between 100-105°
- Pregnant women and persons with known health or medical conditions (e.G. High blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, epilepsy, or seizure disorders) should consult with a physician before using the whirlpool.
- Over-exposure may cause fainting. It is strongly recommended to limit the time spent in the whirlpool to 15 minutes. Cool down periodically and leave the whirlpool if nausea or dizziness occurs.
- Both whirlpool and steam room raise core body temperature. Cool down between the two is recommended when using both the whirlpool and steam room.
- Ages 16 years and older only. The maximum capacity is 11 patrons.
- Everyone must take a shower before using the whirlpool and again if entering the pool or steam room.
- Do not use the whirlpool if you have an open sore or rash, or are experiencing nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.
- Exercise is not permitted in the whirlpool.
- Enter and exit slowly at the spa stairs to prevent slipping. Diving or jumping is prohibited.
- All users must keep their head completely above the water. No lying down or floating.
- Do not play or swim near the drains or suction devices. Your body, body parts, hair, jewelry, and other objects may become trapped and may cause injury or drowning. Do not remain in the whirlpool if the drain cover or suction fitting is loose, broken, or missing. Inform the lifeguard immediately.
- Only water in a plastic container is permitted within the deck or whirlpool area. Food, other drinks, and glass are not permitted.
LIFEGUARD HAS ULTIMATE AUTHORITY IN THE POOL AREA INCLUDING THE WHIRLPOOL. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE RULES MAY RESULT IN REMOVAL FROM THE AREA
USE OF POOLS BY CHILDREN
- A deep-end test/bracelet is required for swimmers under 18 yrs. old entering water deeper than their armpits.
- Children 5 & under must have a parent in the water with them at all times.
- Children 6-7 years old must have a supervising adult in the pool area, while children 5 and under need to be accompanied into the water by an adult.
- Children 8 & older may swim without a parent during open swim. A parent must remain in the building if under 10.