WE'RE BUILDING SOMETHING BETTER!
Be in the know! Stay updated throughout our renovation process by viewing this webpage weekly.
To view all of our renovation videos click HERE
Renovation Update Week of December 8th
Superior Plumbing have been installing the new shower columns. Also they have the pipework installed for the sinks, so the countertops can be measured “in the field” next week. Superior will be working over the next two weekends in the new locker rooms.
Ritter Flooring have completed all the tiling of the showers in all the locker rooms. They have been working steadily on the floors. They still have approximately another 3 weeks worth of work, including the tiling of the steam rooms.
Ceiling Tile Continuation:
Hi-Tech Interiors have installed the ceiling borders in all the locker rooms. After a successful “Above Ceiling Inspection” on Thursday, Hi-Tech began installing the rest of the ceiling tile. They have also been working on enclosing the upper ductwork in the Wellness Center. Due to another install they will restart the Wellness Center ceiling on Thursday December 14th 2017. Painting of the lower ductwork has not yet been scheduled.
WEEK OF DECEMBER 11TH
- Countertops to be measured.
- Continuation of tiling, electrical, plumbing, and ceiling tile installation.
We are still on schedule! The opening of the new locker rooms will be in February 2018. The opening of the coffee room and intergenerational room will be in May 2018.
FAMILY POOL TO CLOSED JANUARY 3RD
The Family Pool work is estimated to take approximately 8 weeks to complete and the pool will close at the end of business day on Tuesday, Jan. 2 to be drained. The work to be completed includes removing the plaster from the bottom and sides of the pool and replacing it with tile to match the first half of the pool. The tile work does take at least 21 days to cure, but in the long run will be a better solution than repairing plaster. It is recommended that plaster bottoms on pools should be redone every 7-10 years. Other than repairing and filling holes, the family pool has not been redone since it opened in 2001. In addition to the plaster work, we will be putting new tile on the deck, doing some wall repair, painting and removing the water cannons. It is estimated to open by March 1.
LAP POOL TO CLOSE FEBRUARY 26TH
The Lap Pool is currently scheduled to close on Monday, February 26 and it is estimated that it will be ready to reopen in mid-May. The lap pool will also have all of its plaster removed and replaced, receive new tile on the deck, new lights, painting, removal of current temporary changing room and showers and will have a whirlpool installed on deck with appropriate filtration and chemical equipment.
We are working diligently to secure options for our members at off site locations such as South High School and local hotels to provide lap swimming and exercise classes. Swimming lessons and regular programming will continue in the respective open pool. Watch for more information to be posted soon.
DID you know?
- There is a changing area, lockers and rinse off only showers on the pool deck. You can by-pass the temporary locker rooms if you are only wishing to gain access to the pool.
- We were able to collaborate with Salina Iron and Metal and have all of our metal fixtures and lockers from the locker rooms collected. Nearly 16 tons (31,760 lbs.) was sold for scrap metal, totaling nearly $900!
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
- Why are you taking the time and money to install a temporary locker room. Couldn't people just take showers at home?
- For our afterschool licensed Y’s Kids and Summer Camp SWAT programs, we must have one flushable toilet and one sink for every 30 children. In addition we have many members that need the use of showers before work and during the lunch area and we wanted to try to accommodate as many as we can during this time.
- I pay for a rental locker. What will happen to my stuff?
- We will have a specific number of small kit lockers in the temporary space for those that are paying for locker service in addition to day use lockers. We will have additional day use lockers in the general area outside of the pool doors and on the pool deck for convenience.
- What’s next after temporary locker rooms are done?
- They will begin building a wall to surround the locker rooms to begin demolition.
TEMPORARY LOCKER ROOMS/ LOCKER ROOM DEMO
Each locker room will have 3 toilets, 3 sinks, and 2 showers. We must have one flushable toilet and one sink for every thirty children that are enrolled in our state licensed after school/summer day camp programs. Therefore, a new sewer line was installed and was connected to our existing system.
FAMILY TEMPORARY LOCKER ROOMS/ LOCKER ROOM DEMO
Across from the male and female temporary locker rooms will be the third temporary locker room. This will accommodate those with special needs and will be co-ed. There will be two ADA showers, a toilet, adult changing table and a baby changing table.
Members who pay to reserve a kit locker will still have access to do so. Some rental lockers will be placed in the temporary space and others will be located in other areas of the facility. We will notify those members once we have a date in which we will transfer items. Numbers may change, but access will still be provided.
Access to the pools from the temporary space will be through the hall and emergency doors in the lower areas across from the elevator.
We are also looking to install a few temporary "RINSE OFF" showers on the pool deck.
We are researching the opportunity to install an above ground temporary whirlpool on the pool deck for member use.
The steam rooms will be unavailable during the demolition and building of the new locker rooms. Each of the adult locker rooms will have one steam room at the conclusion of the renovation.
Thank you to Blake Barrett and “Gourmet to Go” for supplying the ice for our orange water coolers that are located throughout the building. They are donating the ice for the duration of the renovation.
** Please note these pictures are subject to change
Coffee and Social Area with entrance to a new meeting room
Lower Level Lobby - Entrance into the Wellness Center
Universal Locker Room - 2 different Views