CHANGE IS THOUGH—WE CAN HELP
Let’s face it, if changing was easy, we’d all do it. You’ve spent years developing habits that you can’t expect to change overnight. It’s tough.
The YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program gives you the skills you need and the support you deserve to make lasting, healthy lifestyle changes.
DID YOU KNOW?
- 1 in 3 people are pre-diabetic
- 10% of those who are at risk will transition to a diabetic state in the next year
- By losing 7% of your body weight and exercising 150 minutes a week, the risk for diabetes can be decreased by 58%
- Female having had a baby weighing more than 9lbs.
- Having a parent or sibling with diabetes
- Having a BMI of greater than 25
- Younger than 65 and get little to no physical activity
- 65 years of age or older
- Having an elevated A1c or fasting glucose
- The primary risk factor for Type 2 Diabetes is poor nutrition and physical inactivity
The YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program helps you take control of your health by adopting habits to reduce your chances of developing type 2 diabetes and improve your overall health and well-being. Research by the National Institutes of Health has proven that programs like the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program can reduce the number of cases of type 2 diabetes by nearly 60%.
The program provides a supportive environment where participants work together in a small group to learn about healthier eating and increasing their physical activity in order to reduce their risk of developing diabetes. The program, which is led by a trained Lifestyle Coach in a classroom setting, is delivered over a 12-month period, beginning with 16 weekly sessions followed by monthly maintenance.
In order to qualify for the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program, participants must be at least 18 years old, overweight (BMI ≥ 25) and at high risk for developing type 2 diabetes or have been diagnosed with prediabetes†.
"I am thrilled that I am getting guidance, support, and a positive attitude to make the changes to better myself" – Program Participant
"I love the support from the class – it is great accountability!" – Program Participant
Program Cost: $429.00
- The program includes 3 months free YMCA FAMILY membership, a $186 value.
- An option of 6 monthly drafts of $71.50
- Income-based pricing is available on this program for those that qualify- contact us for more details
- YMCA membership NOT required!
To inquire about an upcoming class contact our Wellness and Aquatics Director at 785.825.2151