10 Fall Fitness Tips
Fall is a great time to start a fitness program because you’re going to create good habits for the holiday season and the upcoming winter months.
- Take advantage of the weather. Walking, hiking and cycling are all awesome in the fall.
- Think outside the box. Many classes at gyms and elsewhere get started in the fall, so look around and see if something intrigues you.
- Be an active TV watcher. While you watch, you can walk or run in place, do standing lunges, do triceps dips off the couch, or lift weights
- Integrate exercise into your life.
- Rejuvenate yourself. Get a massage after your run. Learn to meditate. Take an art class.
- Remember the 30-day rule. It takes about four weeks for the body to adapt to lifestyle changes.
- Strive for the 3 Cs: commitment, convenience, and consistency.
- Deal with darkness. The best way to enjoy fall is to exercise outdoors. But it is getting darker earlier, and staying dark later in the morning, so be smart and safe.
- Dress in layers. When exercising outside, layer your clothing. Before your body warms up, you may feel chilled, but once the blood gets pumping, you’ll feel overdressed.
- Find your motivation. It’s important to first discover what your individual goals are, whether it’s losing weight, strengthening and toning, or preparing for a race or event. Creating a challenge for yourself will motivate you, as will encouragement and accountability. Remember too, that anything worth having takes work.
Locations: Salina Family YMCA