WE'RE BUILDING SOMETHING BETTER!
Be in the know! Stay updated throughout our renovation process by viewing this webpage weekly. To view all of our renovation videos click HERE
LAP POOL WORK
Lap Pool demo has begun with the complete removal of the old Therapy Pool Mechanical Room (which was also our temporary changing area). Continental Pools have started the long 2-week process of removing all of the old plaster in the pool bottom and the tiled lines.
inter-gen Room Work
The space between the Inter-Gen Room and the Lobby was actually 3 walls thick, with the center being complete concrete! Rick Weir the Project Superintendent from Busboom and Rauh was needed to chip away at the concrete to help “break it free” from its holdings. It was then lowered down from the scaffolding. Approximately 4000 lbs. of concrete was safely removed. The window frames are now being installed on the Inter-Gen side.
Furring of the walls has begun and the location of the new fireplace has been set.
The new paneling has been installed along the new railings that separate the Wellness Center and the lower hallway. Virgil has marked where the south soffit will be located to aid Hi-Tech Interiors when they build it.
Work is in different stages in regards to relocating some offices to the lower level. The south office (nearest to racquetball court 3) which will house the Wellness Department, and the Building and Grounds Directors office (located in the workshop) is completed. Work will begin soon on the north office (closest to racquetball court 4) which is where the Sports Department will be located. Staff will begin moving into their new spaces within the next couple of weeks.
Family Pool Access Corridor
Member and staff safety is paramount. While the old plaster is being removed from the Lap Pool, access to the Family Pool will be through the Family/Universal Co-Ed Locker Room and into the Kid’s Gym through the access corridor. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this time. Please follow all directions. For more information on the Family Pool opening times, please contact a member of staff at the Member Welcome Center. Watch Renovation Update 2.28.18 above to see how to access the family pool.
Lap Pool Closed
The Lap Pool was drained on Sunday March 4, 2018 . The Lap Pool will be unavailable for use until May 20, 2018. During this time, the Y has an agreement with Salina South High School to use their pool during select times. For information about those select times, please speak to a member of staff at the Member Welcome Center.
- During the Family Pool remodel we had the luxury of being able to use the west side emergency exit doors for the debris removal and construction access. Unfortunately we are unable to do this is the Lap Pool. Therefore, on the west side of the Lap Pool (where the old Therapy Pool was located) an opening has been cut that leads into the construction access corridor in gym 3. This will allow the construction crews easy access for the safe removal of debris and easy access to bring in new materials.
THIS WEEK (March 12)
- Continue demo of pool bottom in the Lap Pool.
- Install lighting in the lower hallway.
- HVAC VRF testing.
- New parts to arrive to fix shower valve in the Men’s Locker Room.
- Continue installing window frame between Inter-Gen and the Lobby.
- Glass Services out to measure window frame between Inter-Gen Room and the outside.
SILENT AUCTION COMING SOON!
We will be selling gently used items from the temporary locker rooms, hallways, and pool area. Including, toilets, showers, lockers, sinks, benches, chairs, coat racks, mirrors, hand/hair driers, rain barrels, and baby changing stations. Stay tuned for more information!
What Is In Each Of The New Locker Rooms?
FAMILY/UNIVERSAL CO-ED LOCKER ROOM
- For individuals under the age of 16, and for those who require assistance.
- Mother’s Nursing Room. (A key can be signed out at the Member Welcome Center).
- 7 changing stalls.
- 3 “pods” that have a separate shower, sink, and toilet. The one closest to the pool also has an adult changing station.
- 4 individual showers with grab bars.
- 2 are ADA showers with seated benches.
- 1 large shower area to accommodate groups.
- 3 additional toilets.
- 1/4 sized lockers, with both padlock or self-operating 4-digit code options.
- 2 suitmates.
- 2 hand/hair driers.
- 2 vanity stations.
- 2 baby changing stations.
- Tempered water with automatic sink faucets.
- TV with Y informational programming.
- Access to the pool.
ADULT LOCKER ROOMS
- For individuals over the age of 16.
- Towel drop box by the hallway entrance.
- Multiple changing stalls.
- 6 individual showers each with grab bars.
- One of which is an ADA shower with a seated bench.
- 6 toilets for females; 3 toilets and 3 urinals for males.
- Multiple vanity stations.
- Kit lockers and 1/4 sized lockers for rent. Also 1/2 sized and full sized (6 feet) lockers with both padlock or self-operating 4-digit code options.
- 1 suitmate each.
- 2 hand/hair driers each.
- Self-controlling water temperature in both the showers and sinks.
- New weighing scales in each locker room.
- Steam rooms in each locker room.
- TV with Y informational programming.
- Access to the pool.
The opening of the coffee room and intergenerational room will be in May 2018.
FAMILY POOL IS NOW OPEN!
Beginning March 5th the Family pool will open at 5:30a and be available for early morning water walking and limited lap swimming. Check the March-May Family Pool schedule for more information.
LAP POOL CLOSED
Lap swimmers and water walkers may swim at South High School’s pool during designated hours; beginning March 5th
M-F 5:00-6:45 am
Sat 7:30 –11:30 am
Sun 2:00-4:00 pm
We apologize for the inconvenience, but are excited for the pool renovations!
*All schedules are subject to change.
DID you know?
- We were able to collaborate with Salina Iron and Metal and have all of our metal fixtures and lockers from the locker rooms collected. Nearly 16 tons (31,760 lbs.) was sold for scrap metal, totaling nearly $900!
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
- Why are you taking the time and money to install a temporary locker room. Couldn't people just take showers at home?
- For our afterschool licensed Y’s Kids and Summer Camp SWAT programs, we must have one flushable toilet and one sink for every 30 children. In addition we have many members that need the use of showers before work and during the lunch area and we wanted to try to accommodate as many as we can during this time.
- I pay for a rental locker. What will happen to my stuff?
- We will have a specific number of small kit lockers in the temporary space for those that are paying for locker service in addition to day use lockers. We will have additional day use lockers in the general area outside of the pool doors and on the pool deck for convenience.
- What’s next after temporary locker rooms are done?
- They will begin building a wall to surround the locker rooms to begin demolition.
TEMPORARY LOCKER ROOMS/ LOCKER ROOM DEMO
Each locker room will have 3 toilets, 3 sinks, and 2 showers. We must have one flushable toilet and one sink for every thirty children that are enrolled in our state licensed after school/summer day camp programs. Therefore, a new sewer line was installed and was connected to our existing system.
FAMILY TEMPORARY LOCKER ROOMS/ LOCKER ROOM DEMO
Across from the male and female temporary locker rooms will be the third temporary locker room. This will accommodate those with special needs and will be co-ed. There will be two ADA showers, a toilet, adult changing table and a baby changing table.
Members who pay to reserve a kit locker will still have access to do so. Some rental lockers will be placed in the temporary space and others will be located in other areas of the facility. We will notify those members once we have a date in which we will transfer items. Numbers may change, but access will still be provided.
Access to the pools from the temporary space will be through the hall and emergency doors in the lower areas across from the elevator.
We are also looking to install a few temporary "RINSE OFF" showers on the pool deck.
We are researching the opportunity to install an above ground temporary whirlpool on the pool deck for member use.
The steam rooms will be unavailable during the demolition and building of the new locker rooms. Each of the adult locker rooms will have one steam room at the conclusion of the renovation.
Thank you to Blake Barrett and “Gourmet to Go” for supplying the ice for our orange water coolers that are located throughout the building. They are donating the ice for the duration of the renovation.
** Please note these pictures are subject to change
Coffee and Social Area with entrance to a new meeting room
Lower Level Lobby - Entrance into the Wellness Center
Universal Locker Room - 2 different Views