WE'RE BUILDING SOMETHING BETTER!
Be in the know! Stay updated throughout our renovation process by viewing this webpage weekly. To view all of our renovation videos click HERE
The deck tile installation of the Family Pool has been completed! What still needs to be done before opening is: clean up, painting of walls, moving equipment into new areas, and replacing burned out light bulbs. The Family Pool is still scheduled to open on March 1, 2018.
Demolition is on schedule with the old walls and original flooring being removed from the temporary spaces. Preparation has already started for the new window that will look outside.
Ritter Flooring have successfully removed the old carpet, and cleaned and prepped the floor ready for tiling to begin Monday February 19, 2018. Please follow all detours to the locker rooms, wellness center and gymnasiums.
WEEK OF FEBRUARY 19TH:
- Begin installation of tiling in the lower hallway outside the new locker rooms.
- Family Pool cleaning, installation of equipment and painting.
- Cut window opening from temporary locker room to outside main lobby doors.
- Possibly pour new concrete floor for the future coffee room area.
The hallway between the Wellness Center and the new Locker Rooms and Women’s Bathroom will be closing Tuesday February 13, 2018. This is to allow Ritter Tiling to remove the carpet, prep the floor and begin tiling. This hallway will be closed until closing on Friday February 23, 2018. Please follow the signage to the locker rooms, wellness center, gymnastics, and gyms while this work is underway.
SILENT AUCTION COMING SOON!
We will be selling gently used items from the temporary locker rooms, hallways, and pool area. Including, toilets, showers, lockers, sinks, benches, chairs, coat racks, mirrors, hand/hair driers, rain barrels, and baby changing stations. Stay tuned for more information!
What Is In Each Of The New Locker Rooms?
FAMILY/UNIVERSAL CO-ED LOCKER ROOM
- For individuals under the age of 16, and for those who require assistance.
- Mother’s Nursing Room. (A key can be signed out at the Member Welcome Center).
- 7 changing stalls.
- 3 “pods” that have a separate shower, sink, and toilet. The one closest to the pool also has an adult changing station.
- 4 individual showers with grab bars.
- 2 are ADA showers with seated benches.
- 1 large shower area to accommodate groups.
- 3 additional toilets.
- 1/4 sized lockers, with both padlock or self-operating 4-digit code options.
- 2 suitmates.
- 2 hand/hair driers.
- 2 vanity stations.
- 2 baby changing stations.
- Tempered water with automatic sink faucets.
- TV with Y informational programming.
- Access to the pool.
ADULT LOCKER ROOMS
- For individuals over the age of 16.
- Towel drop box by the hallway entrance.
- Multiple changing stalls.
- 6 individual showers each with grab bars.
- One of which is an ADA shower with a seated bench.
- 6 toilets for females; 3 toilets and 3 urinals for males.
- Multiple vanity stations.
- Kit lockers and 1/4 sized lockers for rent. Also 1/2 sized and full sized (6 feet) lockers with both padlock or self-operating 4-digit code options.
- 1 suitmate each.
- 2 hand/hair driers each.
- Self-controlling water temperature in both the showers and sinks.
- New weighing scales in each locker room.
- Steam rooms in each locker room.
- TV with Y informational programming.
- Access to the pool.
We are still on schedule! The opening of the new locker rooms will be in February 2018. The opening of the coffee room and intergenerational room will be in May 2018.
FAMILY POOL CLOSED
The Family Pool work is estimated to take approximately 8 weeks to complete. The work to be completed includes removing the plaster from the bottom and sides of the pool and replacing it with tile to match the first half of the pool. The tile work does take at least 21 days to cure, but in the long run will be a better solution than repairing plaster. It is recommended that plaster bottoms on pools should be redone every 7-10 years. Other than repairing and filling holes, the family pool has not been redone since it opened in 2001. In addition to the plaster work, we will be putting new tile on the deck, doing some wall repair, painting and removing the water cannons. It is estimated to open by March 1.
LAP POOL TO CLOSE MARCH 4TH
Lap swimmers and water walkers may swim at South High School’s pool during designated hours; beginning March 5th
M-F 5:00-6:45 am
Sat 7:30 –11:30 am
Sun 2:00-4:00 pm
The Family Pool is scheduled to reopen March 1st. Beginning March 5th the Family pool will open at 5:30a and be available for early morning water walking and limited lap swimming. Check the March-May Family Pool schedule for more information.
We apologize for the inconvenience, but are excited for the pool renovations!
*All schedules are subject to change.
DID you know?
- There is a changing area, lockers and rinse off only showers on the pool deck. You can by-pass the temporary locker rooms if you are only wishing to gain access to the pool.
- We were able to collaborate with Salina Iron and Metal and have all of our metal fixtures and lockers from the locker rooms collected. Nearly 16 tons (31,760 lbs.) was sold for scrap metal, totaling nearly $900!
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
- Why are you taking the time and money to install a temporary locker room. Couldn't people just take showers at home?
- For our afterschool licensed Y’s Kids and Summer Camp SWAT programs, we must have one flushable toilet and one sink for every 30 children. In addition we have many members that need the use of showers before work and during the lunch area and we wanted to try to accommodate as many as we can during this time.
- I pay for a rental locker. What will happen to my stuff?
- We will have a specific number of small kit lockers in the temporary space for those that are paying for locker service in addition to day use lockers. We will have additional day use lockers in the general area outside of the pool doors and on the pool deck for convenience.
- What’s next after temporary locker rooms are done?
- They will begin building a wall to surround the locker rooms to begin demolition.
TEMPORARY LOCKER ROOMS/ LOCKER ROOM DEMO
Each locker room will have 3 toilets, 3 sinks, and 2 showers. We must have one flushable toilet and one sink for every thirty children that are enrolled in our state licensed after school/summer day camp programs. Therefore, a new sewer line was installed and was connected to our existing system.
FAMILY TEMPORARY LOCKER ROOMS/ LOCKER ROOM DEMO
Across from the male and female temporary locker rooms will be the third temporary locker room. This will accommodate those with special needs and will be co-ed. There will be two ADA showers, a toilet, adult changing table and a baby changing table.
Members who pay to reserve a kit locker will still have access to do so. Some rental lockers will be placed in the temporary space and others will be located in other areas of the facility. We will notify those members once we have a date in which we will transfer items. Numbers may change, but access will still be provided.
Access to the pools from the temporary space will be through the hall and emergency doors in the lower areas across from the elevator.
We are also looking to install a few temporary "RINSE OFF" showers on the pool deck.
We are researching the opportunity to install an above ground temporary whirlpool on the pool deck for member use.
The steam rooms will be unavailable during the demolition and building of the new locker rooms. Each of the adult locker rooms will have one steam room at the conclusion of the renovation.
Thank you to Blake Barrett and “Gourmet to Go” for supplying the ice for our orange water coolers that are located throughout the building. They are donating the ice for the duration of the renovation.
** Please note these pictures are subject to change
Coffee and Social Area with entrance to a new meeting room
Lower Level Lobby - Entrance into the Wellness Center
Universal Locker Room - 2 different Views