WE'RE BUILDING SOMETHING BETTER!
Be in the know! Stay updated throughout our renovation process by viewing this webpage weekly.
Renovation Update Week of August 18th
Main Locker Room Demolition
Temporary Wall Down
This week the temporary wall in the north and east hallways were removed. This is in preparation for the fall sports season to start to allow greater access to the gymnasiums. In the future the walls will be sanded and painted and new bottle-filler drinking fountains will be installed.
Hallway Door Removed:
The hallway door that was situated in the north hallway was demolished. As part of the renovation, new doors will be installed and they will be permanently open. Unless there is a fire and then they will automatically close.
WEEK OF AUGUST 21ST:
- Continuation on the interior work of the locker rooms.
- Exit 12 (between the Studio and the Sports Performance Area) is closed. Please either watch the latest video for the nearest emergency exit information or ask a member of staff.
- Appreciation Luncheon for the construction crew on Thursday August 24th 2017.
- New videos on what’s happening inside!
We are still on schedule! The opening of the new locker rooms will be in February 2018. The opening of the coffee room and intergenerational room will be in May 2018.
DID you know?
- There is a changing area, lockers and rinse off only showers on the pool deck. You can by-pass the temporary locker rooms if you are only wishing to gain access to the pool.
- We were able to collaborate with Salina Iron and Metal and have all of our metal fixtures and lockers from the locker rooms collected. Nearly 16 tons (31,760 lbs.) was sold for scrap metal, totaling nearly $900!
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
- Why are you taking the time and money to install a temporary locker room. Couldn't people just take showers at home?
- For our afterschool licensed Y’s Kids and Summer Camp SWAT programs, we must have one flushable toilet and one sink for every 30 children. In addition we have many members that need the use of showers before work and during the lunch area and we wanted to try to accommodate as many as we can during this time.
- I pay for a rental locker. What will happen to my stuff?
- We will have a specific number of small kit lockers in the temporary space for those that are paying for locker service in addition to day use lockers. We will have additional day use lockers in the general area outside of the pool doors and on the pool deck for convenience.
- What’s next after temporary locker rooms are done?
- They will begin building a wall to surround the locker rooms to begin demolition.
TEMPORARY LOCKER ROOMS/ LOCKER ROOM DEMO
Each locker room will have 3 toilets, 3 sinks, and 2 showers. We must have one flushable toilet and one sink for every thirty children that are enrolled in our state licensed after school/summer day camp programs. Therefore, a new sewer line was installed and was connected to our existing system.
FAMILY TEMPORARY LOCKER ROOMS/ LOCKER ROOM DEMO
Across from the male and female temporary locker rooms will be the third temporary locker room. This will accommodate those with special needs and will be co-ed. There will be two ADA showers, a toilet, adult changing table and a baby changing table.
Members who pay to reserve a kit locker will still have access to do so. Some rental lockers will be placed in the temporary space and others will be located in other areas of the facility. We will notify those members once we have a date in which we will transfer items. Numbers may change, but access will still be provided.
Access to the pools from the temporary space will be through the hall and emergency doors in the lower areas across from the elevator.
We are also looking to install a few temporary "RINSE OFF" showers on the pool deck.
We are researching the opportunity to install an above ground temporary whirlpool on the pool deck for member use.
The steam rooms will be unavailable during the demolition and building of the new locker rooms. Each of the adult locker rooms will have one steam room at the conclusion of the renovation.
Thank you to Blake Barrett and “Gourmet to Go” for supplying the ice for our orange water coolers that are located throughout the building. They are donating the ice for the duration of the renovation.
** Please note these pictures are subject to change
Coffee and Social Area with entrance to a new meeting room
Lower Level Lobby - Entrance into the Wellness Center
Universal Locker Room - 2 different Views