The Salina Family YMCA has been serving Salina and the surrounding area since 1886. The YMCA prospered and met the needs of young men and their families during both world wars. In 1942 a $200,000 Expansion Campaign was launched and in 1955 the expanded gym, and pool were dedicated. By 1963 the Y was once again cramped for space and a new Health Center, Handball Court and additional parking were added.
Four Pillars stand outside the Salina Family YMCA. They were taken from the original YMCA building downtown and erected when the new facility was opened in 1978. These pillars serve as a reminder that the Y has been an important partner in the lives of Salina families. The Y’s mission and principles are pillars which help build a stronger community.
On January 29, 1978, with the opening of the new facility at 570 YMCA Drive, the four pillars were dedicated to Oscar M. Wilbur, C.C. “Preach” Groves, William “Bill” Exline and Delbert Miller. Their photos are displayed in the coffee area. Building “healthy, spirit, mind and body” has been the hallmark of the Y since its founding. Central to this mission our facility in which children grow thrive and play; families are strengthened, and opportunities for fellowship and sense of community are nurtured.
Thus we have grown from a single gym and pool in a building at 9th & Iron Streets to a facility that serves individuals and families through a variety of programs and activities. Programs include state licensed Early Education preschool, after school program and summer camp; aquatics, wellness, youth sports leagues, adult sport recreation, gymnastics, racquetball, handball, senior social and wellness activities and more!
The Y is a volunteer-led, community-owned, 501c3 nonprofit organization, and any income is reinvested to meet local needs.